Prepare for an ICAO English test
Do you want to improve your Aviation English to prepare for an ICAO English test? Do you want to be more familiar with different accents? Do you want to communicate more effectively with other crew members during flight operations? Are you able to attend a live classroom-based course with us in Hong Kong?
Aviation English Asia Ltd offers ICAO Aviation English for Commercial Pilots / ICAO Aviation English for Air Traffic Control Officers as Online Tutorials via Skype, WeChat, FaceTime and Zoom.
Features and benefits
ICAO Aviation English Online Tutorials build effective communication strategies for flight operations, which ultimately gives pilots and ATCOS the language skills needed to perform well in an ICAO English test. Training with Aviation English Asia Ltd will give you:
- Appropriate professional training that facilitates practice of standard phraseology in routine situations
- Unique emphasis on practice of communicative functions so pilots and ATCOs can effectively manage both routine and non-routine situations
- Develop skills in each of the six ICAO language criteria - vocabulary, pronunciation, structure, comprehension, fluency, interactions
- Interesting topics directly related to flight safety
- Flexible schedule to meet your needs
- Course designed by highly qualified language experts in collaboration with aviation Subject Matter Experts
- Course conforms to the AEROSTA Framework developed by the Aviation English Organisation
- Understand the advantages and limitations of ICAO test types
- Learner can receive feedback on each activity
- Course content is aviation focused - not just chat
All classes are with experienced native English teachers (registered with the Aviation English Organisation) who work one-on-one with you to improve your English. Classes can be customized for your particular airline or ICAO English test.
Full course descriptions are available here
Designed to facilitate clear communication
Each unit gives you practice of the following skills:
- Pronunciation - advanced techniques to improve your pronunciation
- Vocabulary - develop a wide aviation, technical and general vocabulary in addition to paraphrasing skills
- Structure - improve your grammar with effective drills and activities
- Comprehension - listening and reading comprehension - specific to aviation
- Fluency - learn how to organise your thoughts and express yourself clearly
- Interaction - learn to respond appropriately in both routine and non-routine situations (AEROSTA Framework)
Each unit focuses on routine procedures at airports, or non-routine situation of relevance to commercial pilots / ATCOs, eg bird strike, engine failure, equipment failure, fuel planning, volcanic ash, crew time limitation.
Classes are built on the AEROSTA Framework, created to ensure that each class has relevant learning objectives and meaningful practice of language skills. This is your guarantee that you will have meaningful practice of language skills relevant to an aviation career.
|High frequency vocabulary relevant to a particular topic||Basic and complex structures, standard phraseology||Managing a dialogue|
|eg Engine failure||Describing conditions, speculating on the future etc||Stating intentions, stating inability, clarifying actions etc|
|eg Wildlife||Describing location, describing direction of movement, describing behaviour etc||Stating a change of plan, requesting information etc|
It is our goal to make language training as realistic as possible. Many classroom activities can be replicated in an online format. The range of activities is very wide but includes:
- Picture description
- Pronunciation practice
- Grammar drills and practice of relevant structures
- Listening comprehension of plain English in an aviation context, eg weather briefing, news report, personal experiences, interview, group discussion.
- Listening comprehension of pilot/controller dialogues in routine and non-routine situations.
- Role play of pilot-controller / pilot-crewmember communications using both ICAO standard phraseology and plain English
- Discussion of topics affecting flight safety
All learners receive feedback and tailored advice on their language proficiency in each unit.
Before starting a course we always conduct a short telephone consultation (call us on +852 81799295) to ensure that (1) you are enrolling on the right course and that (2) we can realistically help you achieve your target level. After the consultation you can either:
Purchase 1 x 55 minute tutorial for $55 USD ($420 HKD)
Purchase 10 x 55 minute tutorials for $450 USD.